Saturday, April 23, 2011

Era of Imperialism Discussion Question 1

The age of imperialism was a time of transition around the globe. As control of territories changed, citizens' ways of interacting in their communities also changed. Explain how artists in your era showed an awareness of these changes.

24 comments:

  1. I had painted a portrait of my friend Adele Bloch-Bauer which she asked to her husband to donate the Klimt paintings to the Austrian State Gallery upon his death in her own will. Then after Adele had died in 1925 from meningitis. When the Nazis took over Austria, so therefor Adele's husband had to move to Switzerland and his property, including the Klimt paintings, was taken by Nazi forces. But later on, the portrait was re-united to the rightful place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its good that that portrait of your friend got back to where it belonged. When I was in school, I had to deal with people who had a problem with my race. I was acused of poisoning two students at one of my schools. I was also acused of steeling too. I had to go to court and was saved but I then had a hurt reputation. Racism was a big thing I had to go through but I managed to not let it get to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As things changed with me being an actor my views and opportunities changed. When I returned to London I wasn't able to find shows, no one would hire me everything just became really tough. With me being African American it only made things worst. I couldn't perform in certain places or take on certain roles. Even though I had to face series of problems and concerns I didn't let those things interfere with my dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really admire you Ira for wanting to stick with your dream even though there have been situations that were trying to keep you from reaching that dream. Being African American in this time was very hard in this time. Being African American and trying to create art for everyone to enjoy was even harder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I am caucasian, and had never had to go through such horrible things, I do indeed feel your pain. I am so sorry anybody had to have gone through such things. I really admire both of you two. The fact that you didn't let the harsh society interfere with what you truly wanted to do. You both have lots of bravery to have gone through that all. Our financial problems growing up doesn't even compare to your situations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how deep you think Gustav. Its important to look past your own life and see what other people are going through. It will help you understand not only any pain they might be going through, but makes you wonder what caused their pain. Was it caused because of something they did themselves or was it caused by someone else? That is something to think about when it comes to questioning how your community is being run. Is this persons pain caused by something going on in the community?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how art just moves people in directions. In the things we do it hits people's emotions. Like when I write I express my feelings but it's like when someone reads it, it's like they know what I mean. And yes I also like how deep Gustav thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Ms. Mansfield! You've expressed so much truth in my eyes...Ms. Lewis and Mr. Klimt also appear to have their hearts locked on the changing atmosphere. Our interest in the conflicts presently active inspires our art and triggers us to make the necessary changes in our world. The beginning of my marriage allowed thoughts to flourish in my fragile head. "The Cry of the Children" was used to increase awareness under intense working conditions in the coal mines. That of course, is relevant to another era, but it spoke wonders to the Government of Commissions when hiring the children. A convenient perspective turned colder than the young flesh, disappearing to the Earth. It was not favored by many people, no less do I regret such an action. Changes also affected my early life. My elders participated in the imperial reign, with Britain being one of the leading imperialist nations, my father owned a plantation down in Jamaica. Happy I would have been to protest with "chain-carrying" people down by the open waters (being a woman highly against slavery) but it stings to be part of the family controlling them! Their rampant movement lead my family to move to the city, but a positive bud grew into strong poetry :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Elizabeth! I love your view on this. Its really nice to know your point of view! I am so glad that everything worked out alright!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As things change in our time of Imperialism, things are being invented and made to make people’s lives easier or to just give them more entertainment but unlike Gustav, Elizabeth, Katherine, Edmonia, Ira, and I, we don't have to go along with those changes. Our taste in others works of art and our perspectives and views in art may change but the way we make our OWN art doesn't change. Unlike most of the world we don't have to change our art to make it get noticed. We just keep the people who observe our art interested by creating the same type of art we perform, write, make, or act out. What I am saying is, is that we don't have to change ourselves to keep up with the world we just have to change the public's opinion on our art.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes edward! I definitely agree with this statement! There are way to many people out there who let society influence there life, and dreams. And it is just wrong that people allow it to get to them, and disrupts there whole beings and in our case, art.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very fascinating your remark! It puzzles me a little bit. I always thought that such artistic work is shadowed from the impact these changes have made on the artist. Striking your comment be, Mr. Sambourne, but tis possible that the world does not have such intentions. Then again, I've never looked at it from that perspective...Instead of looking in ourselves for great art, we could be oblivious that our REAL intention is to please the audience! Especially in poetry. So beautiful we try to make the language and put in intense effort to make sure characters are relatable, and dialog is engaging. Is there anyone here that was afraid to inscribe their true feelings into a masterpiece? Has anyone here been reluctant, fearing that the audience would misinterpret then take offense to your view of an innocent creation?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't have a problem like that Elizabeth but I can see what you are saying. We need to make ourselves stand out. If we put our true feelings into our work, it will make them stronger in the eyes, or ears, of our audience. Not only that but it will also say something about ourselves. It'll show how unique we are and how we as artists view things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, yes the unique side of things always stand out and makes us who we are! I just love that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Edmonia I really like how you said everyone needs to be themselves and stand out. Me being of African decent and playing a Shakespear role brought a lot of different situations on me. But, it didn't stop me from accomplishment my dreams. I didn't want to be just an "average joe" I wanted to stand out and show what I was capable of.

    ReplyDelete
  16. And that's another element, we artists share. Thank you, Mr. Aldridge for introducing another valid point. Creative geniuses live for the experience, that is why we thrive for the adrenaline of sticking out from the norm, rather then blending in like a timid chameleon. Sometimes that may involve our vivid imagination to step into the shoes of a character we purposely construct to be different, so we can provide our viewers with something new. Yes, how I did live a wealthy lifestyle, but to write a poem, I would put myself in the perspective in another life such as I did with, "A Runaway Slave," converting myself to the perspective of a whole other race.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was aware of these changes, being female didn't help me, but I was lucky, I had an education, I went to school with the boys. I sculpt people doing beautiful things, because that's what people want to see, beauty. Anyhow I'm sure if I were a white male I'd be even more heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The time of imperialism was a time for change, and I used this to my advantage. Like the pioneers who imperialized new areas of countries creating new cities and cultures in this time period, I created a new style of dance. I think artists like myself in this era used this time of change as chance to flourish and do things in their craft that people hadn't even thought possible before! Even though such changes brought challenges to people in the art I believe the best artists rose the challenge and became better artists because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like what Gustav said. It can be hard to be an artist, people are quick to judge your work.Especially in a time like ours where people look at more than just the quality of the art, they judge you, your race and even your status. It can destroy your creativity if you allow peoples negative and even positive comments to get to your head.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think that with out this change half of my work wouldn't even be what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  21. In this era not just me, but artist in general were able to travel to different latin speaking countries darling. The countries that we were able to travel to had been colonized to perform for those wonderful people with no exposure to opera. Ok darling maybe a little exposure. This era that we once lived in was very interesting indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Camilie I agree. Without a change you would be stuck to the same old same old. Without the change I would probably be the same actor I was back in New York. Change is good but it can also be bad.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes I would agree as well. Change is what makes us different and gives us the unique side of us. The true self we really are suppose to be.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I must say something I agree with Luisa Tetrazzini without this era and being able to come all over the world to become worldly known and as a magizine said'' Matilda became famously over night",that wouldn't have happened without the possibility to be in this era.
    I also look at other art forms like well art looking on older eras the art forms may be different,for example the models that they use in an older era woman werent painted naked they were usually covered bur in this era it changes. This shows what a difference in the arts.

    ReplyDelete

Remember cyber-etiquette!