Saturday, April 23, 2011

Era of Imperialism Discussion Question 2

Imperialism brought an increase in new goods and ideas from around the world. Nations with large colonial holdings saw an increase of wealth that in turn created a desire for goods and services. How did increased financial security in this era help you create new works. Was financial security necessary in order to be an artist? Explain.

22 comments:

  1. The money that my brother, Sunset, had gotten didn't come from another country. He had gotten it from the time of the Gold Rush. while he was out West during this time, he got into real-estate and got really wealthy. My brother didn't keep all his money to himself though. He used some of his money to help me in my life. He was able to get me out of my mothers Native American tribe and got me into school and a place to work. I think that financial security doesn't have to be necessary to be a good artist however. Lets look at our friend Isadora Duncan. She and her family didn't have much money and she became a sucessful dancer and teacher while trying to help her family out.Financial security is helpfull but not always needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my company started getting money we were able to take on new things and new places. As you should know in London 1833, theaters where attacked and torn down. Over time as people tried to recreate these theaters the financial security helped protect out theaters from harm. Yes, financial security was necessary because without it we could have been attacked again and had to rebuilt and start from scratch all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was much younger, my parents tried there best to raise me and my seven siblings, but it was difficult in those times. We weren't doing so swell financially. But we got through it, and being the eldest of my siblings, I of course had the most responsibilities. Paying for a decent art school and also for the rest of us, since art was act upon by everyone in my family. And plus, my father being a gold smith in these times, it was hard to raise a family of nine. Things got worse when my sister died at a very young age. Concentrating was crucial then. We did get through it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well from how I grew up, my family was wealth. So you can say I had money. I had good education and my career as a writer had it's ups and downs. When it came to getting services towards my career it wasn't a problem. Only when it came to being with a certain company that didn't help publish my work or put it out to the world in a positive manner. But I did get through my problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those without an economic backbone, it may be the luck of the draw, as far as I'm concerned. If I were to alter my lifestyle to experience pursuing such elaborate goals in a lower class to see if money was the essential necessity, I would journey far. And adorning to hear of your success and that burdensome work and the Lord's light can get anyone anywhere they please. But, it was fortunate for women to have a wealthy background and individuals who had every faith in their intentions. My very first poem, "The Battle of the Marathon" was printed by my father due to financial benefits. Proud he was, he kept a number of copies on his shelf, which became the start of a career comprised of many hopes. If your account contained riches to pay for everything, including book binding, if they cherished the piece, you're in business! And, Oh! Education. Very hard for a woman of this particular era. If the family was prosperous, they could pay for schools or mentors that could teach you Greek or Latin. Especially for the writers, it was so important for any company or an audience with many diverse opinions to accommodate an educated artist. Tis the age of Imperialism, riches count!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katherine, I am so glad to hear that your childhood was quite pleasant. Although it is unfortunate to hear about that company that did not publish your beautiful work.
    Elizabeth, you sound like such an intelligent person, I would love to meet you in person sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, when it came to the Punch magazine everything had to cost money. Since we were a world -wide known magazine at that time, we, as the magazine industry, had to keep up with the changes of people still reading the comics as entertainment. So as the demands of the people wanting to read more of Punch, the price went up so money was a big necessity for us. Plus, when it came to getting ink, color, paper, and paying the employees, that had cost money as well. Sadly though, as inventions were made and newer items were created, so were the people’s minds of reading comics in a magazine. Now and days people are starting to read newspapers for updates and information around the world and even for comics strips! So now, ever since Punch magazine closed, it’s been hard for the comic industry to get out there and sell magazines to the public when newer inventions keep being made to replace the other, older items to meet the demands of the people. When it came to financial security, we also had that. Since we were a company full of workers and employees the company had to provide all of us financial security. Without it we won’t be able to get loans, pull funds, and stay in business. And above that we as the workers won’t get paid and get laid off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edward, that sounds tuff! A world without money, imagine that, I think it would be a nice change. Material for making visual arts like we do, is very hard to keep up with but us artists have to try to get through it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gustav is right. That must have been VERY hard. Edward, you had a lot on your plate. You had to make sure you had enough money to get ink, paper, colors, and to pay your employees. I know you needed financial security for such a big job to run o.k.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you 100 percent Mr Joseph. With me I had more struggles because of my race. Financially I was fine but because others views on my performances things where harder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes everyone has there own struggles, and not all of them are the same. But they do bring us to where we are now. How we came out from those struggles and won the victory to continue with life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katherine I couldn't have said it any better. Like the saying go what doesn't break you can only make you stronger. As long as you have faith in yourself you can accomplish your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hurray! We seem to be getting somewhere. There is also that question of which stood out stronger in our life choices. Was it the art or our actual drastic actions that played a center role in our glory days--when we were currently active in our study of crafts? Who knew that a marriage, during the days when it was already expected of a woman to marry a respectable man, could prove the point of my independence. Every creature desires something whether it is tangible or not. Imaginative creation gets us one way, but acting on our needs get us another way. I express the needs of a woman in one way in "Aurora Leigh," then marrying Robert to prove my father I was a grown up was another. I feel that action played a superior role considering it hurt the relationship with my father, but proved that a woman's dream is just as paramount. Love and companionship was a thing I also needed to get by with my ghastly physical condition (being a sickly woman) and to inspire my work that twas to save my empty soul. For you, Aldridge, you were grabbing the bull by both horns. Being an actor, I imagine expressing your needs through the character combines reality and the relate-able fantasy of the show. Depending on the character, people may see your true intentions through your

    ReplyDelete
  14. I came from a wealthy family, I'm sure that paid a huge portion of my finances. Then again there are finances that are not money, there is the time a devotion you pour into your work. I also trained with the best of teachers, my favorite was Rodin, he cared for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. (Previous comment was cut off) role on the stage?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ms. Claudel, I couldn't extol you more on your expanded thinking. Was it the money that was the ultimate sacrifice? Surely, one may disagree when they look at a torn relationship between their elders, based on their devotion to their passion. Often times, be it not the obsession with your nation's currency but the hours or days or even years you spend on creating, that you lose trace of family members. I see it as this, the English pound may have gotten me through a lot, but working hard and learning to respect criticism and rejection can be just as expensive. Sacrificing your lifestyle to experience a new one is a terrific cost. But a life of the arts, yes, you have to want it more than anything...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Ms. Claudel! I wish I could have been as fortunate as you. I came from a family of struggling artists as well, and taught myself with very few mentors. We are almost complete opposites I suppose! People do not become the great artists from being the richest and most 'financially stable', but by being the most expressive, working hard, and loving what they do! Isn't that what art is all about? Anyways out of great suffering comes greater art! But to contradict myself I do believe having a bit more money would have beneffited my career. My problem wasn't that I was not making money from my dancing, but that instead of being responsible and saving it, that money burned holes in my pockets! I guess that's where the term 'starving artist' comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As a guitar craftsman, financial security was very important. The art form requires you to invest in raw materials and different supplies and tools. Having financial security was vital for my success!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sometimes I wish I was a starving artist, the climb to success seems so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I myself personally never created new works darling. However i did have the pleasure of performing in various operas which were created by various wonderful artists. This did lead to substantial financial security for myself which was very neccassary for my sustanance darling.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just love art. All that it does and all that it is! The way we create things that gets many expressions from people's faces. What I really how for children after our Era is to see our art and be inspired like we were when we were little. Maybe not go through the same mistakes, but take in the art and become the artist they wish to be, you know!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well when I was younger we didn't have a lot of money so I only sang at church. My dad did some crazy jobs to help us survive,and being an African American it came twice as hard for our family.
    However when I grew up things started to get better I was able to make money, even if it was the minimum, to staarted getting noticed for my singins arts. As I went on I was able to travel and create shows and that allowed me to be able to spread my voice and become the person that I am known for.
    So yes I do think that the more resources that we had then others did benifit us and I also think that without the money I wouldn't be known for who I am today. Or be able to share my artform with the world

    ReplyDelete

Remember cyber-etiquette!