Monday, May 2, 2011

2. Name one artist from this year's project (other than your own) whose work struck you in some way. Explain why you think so.

62 comments:

  1. One of the most influential artists I found was Charles Dickens. He is a very famous artist even now! Such plays and stories like Great Expectations and Oliver Twist are still known and appreciated today! His works and examples of atmospheres he used inspired modern literature nowadays. I can't count how many stories I've read with some semblance of lonely orphans and bitter men in them! He definitely struck me as a dark writer, as I am one myself.

    se1

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the most influential fellow artist that spoke the truth from word to word was Madam Cj Walker. She was telling me all about her life as a child how she had delt with slavery, racial issues, and also learing to find herself. Inspiring story it is to hear that a African American woman went though the experiences that I and many others went through at this time. She has worked her way to the top as a proud woman and even so woman were not to be set to be successful. She is an independent woman with the soul of a boulder that can't be broken. She has influenced me, as a MAN, that I too can still work hard no matter what the gender difference is. That no one should be put down just because of who they truely are. She has inspired me to look beyond the life of an average person to be extroidinary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surly Franz Schubert. His music is some of the most provocative i've ever heard. Its truly just fantastic music. I would have loved to have been able to hear a whole orchestra do it. Surly a very, very cool guy. I must say La Maupins also struck my eye, but the prize has got to go to Franz here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe all the artists are very inspirational but one that really stuck out to me is Wassily Kandinsky. I feel Wassily pushes himself past his limits and goes after what he really wants. (I mean how many people can say they chased after their dreams at age 6?!) I think it's amazing how Wassily tried all different types of art because it lived in his heart. I also think that most people can say they had someone to guide them through their journey, but Wassily didn't. I find that beautiful that he is so succesful without a "true mentor!" By the way I love his work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Should I not mention that of Samuel Richardson then but a disappointment to my own reputation, however meager that of my reputation I could posess. Richardson was a writer such as myself, and an excellent novelist at that. His stories were formatted as letters, a practice I myself took up in my younger years and drafting. Probably his most popular and my particular favorite would be The History of Sir Charles Grandison, the genius novel morphing from the perspective of one character to another. This is from the three epistolary novels also conjoining with Pamela: Or, Virtue Rewarded, and Clarissa: Or the History of a Young Lady. He lived until the mid-1700s, yet I am fortunate enough to have read his work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The artist that stood out to me the most was Billie Holiday. You would never have a story like her's. That woman went from horribly poor to insanely rich! Hear this. She dropped out of school from being really poor, IN THE 5TH GRADE! She was arrested for getting money in some ways at age 15! As she got older, she wanted to be a dance at a Harlem Club, but got turned down. But she thought to be a singer and got the job! Economically, she made more than $100 a night. Politically, when living in Harlem, their were crimes, the district was growing massively, and their was SO MUCH poverty that it showed! But when she sung, people were in tears. Even by age 18, she had been become a recording artist, toured Europe( I'm surprised that me and her didnt bump heads from traveling in Europe, that would be the biggest opportunity!)and had a movie in New York! But the sad part is she did drugs which damaged her voice, made her look bad, and even made it hard for her to get money. This woman had did the impossible! I take my hat of to you, Mrs. Billie Holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The artist I found most fascinating in this project was Gustav Klimt! Klimt has been my favorite artist for years and my family has several of his paintings around our house. I am doing a study of his art in school, and creating a few of my own peices inspired by his style of art work. It was so interesting to read his interview and learn about his experiences and influences in the art world in the late 1800s and early 1900s. I also found it interesting to learn about how his interest in art started and how he pursued it, and his stuggles with the public when they found his art offensive and how he delt with that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really think Scott Joplin was really insprirational not only to myself but my artists, in my opinion. Scott Joplin was a pioneer of a certain genre, like Duke Ellington how he was the start of swing and jazz. Just like how Scott Joplin was the start of ragtime. From his blog and information I've gathered about him, I find we have some simalarities. What I mean is like I just said, we both were pioneers of our age and genre, style, of music. Also the fact that both of our artists are black, and I though my artist had it rough as well as Scott Joplin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love everyone here and it's very hard to choose. I love everyone's style and how they present themselves and their art. But if I had to choose I would say Willie "Bunk" Johnson because I just love how he express himself. His comments are very amazing and very good. Plus I love music as well as writing. Maybe someday wecan play together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its hard to say who infulanced me the most. I would have to say that I was influnaced by Amry Shelley. She as I is a writer I and I cannot say that we are the same. Our style of writing is much differant. However like she mentioned we both write "dark" stories. I very much agree with the fact that I write dark stories. And Mary, thank you for your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Katherine, I am mostly impressed with Willie “Bunk” Johnson. From the way he expresses himself, his love for his career and talent in a non-cocky way but in a passionate way. Also how nice he is to others, including how much time he spends writing what he wants to say, which is always positive. I also think its great a African-American got a great career in what they love, and seems like he’s very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have to agree also that Willie "Bunk" Johnson stuck out the most for me. I would always read their entire answers because they were so interesting and had so much information about the person. The way they expressed their passion for their career was very impressive. The person who is Willie "Bunk" Johnson very much became the character they researched and were writing about.

    ReplyDelete
  13. La Maupin's work struck me. It did because she was a sword fighter who was in operas and dressed like a man! Also she was gay which was very hard for women back then to admit to being gay. It really struck me to how strong and commited to what she was and did. She didn't seem to care that much about what people thought and that really inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have to say Klimt. I think is art is beautiful, and I love the style. Everything he made in his art was clear to me. He and I had similar views when it came to art. A love theme. I also loved his color spectrum, and just what Gustav did. His icon "The Kiss" is just beautiful. He is an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm, though there were plenty of characters that marked my interest through my search, Lord Byron was one that stood out the most for me. I'm sure towards my poet, they would have had the similarity of being awed by romance that is deeply expressed in the English literature. It is very interesting though to view a woman's perspective on love and a man's. I found that though Byron had the similar interest of Barrett, he was much to devious in his yearn for it. His active role in politics would is relative to my artist, because they were both outspoken through politics. Just as Elizabeth did for the Italian Independence movement, Byron was active for the Greeks independence. He did a wonderful job in answering his interview questions as if he were "the ladies man" but still proving his sensitivity which comes forth in his impeccable work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would defiantly have to say, Franz Schubert! He and Handel are very alike. They both composed similar music and it was just interesting to see someone that reminded me of Handel. And nevertheless he composed great music!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well... I think the artist that touched me the most is Mrs. Mercy Otis Warren. Even though I'm from the Imperialism Era I like to learn new things and explore the lives of other artist. Reading and looking through her artifacts not only was she great with words but she had the courage to speak out. She didnt just limit herself to one thing like writting letters but she went above and beyond to composing plays and such. In her time women didn't really have a lot of say so, so for her to publish and speak her thought I found just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joan Miro impressed me the most. I think Joan is just an absolutely amazing artist! I don't like traditional art, and Joan definitely has unique work. The use of vibrant colors, the use of all the irregular and geometrical shapes. It is just so invigorating. His paintings seduce my mind with its creativity. Im so inspired by just looking at his work. I think Joan is a truly talented painter! Also, Joan really displayed his work nice and neatly on his blog which made it much much easier for the eyes to see his work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Also one main thing I found really funny was that his mother was a goldsmith! And in my paintings I tend to use a lot of gold, which was inspired by my dad being a goldsmith growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would have to say Billie Holiday. She faced so many limitations. The poverty, and drugs. Not to mention being a woman in a time where female art was not much appreciated. And an African American female at that! And although she had her phases of drug abuse, she overcame her limitations. And at some point she made a comment of how she wrote all her feelings on how she felt about the cruel treatment she had received into a song and then sang it in the cruel peoples faces. That is a courageous move! Way to go Billie!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The people that struck me the most was the work of Margaret Sanger and Johann Sebastion Bach. I being a Bach fan, as I really am a pianist and love his compositions, I have actually looked at more of his works after reading the interview because I was impressed by his background and dedication. I could take a lesson from him! I also was struck by Margaret Sangers work. I never knew she came up with alot of the lessons we as students are learning today. It impressed me that she came up with the ideas of it all, and that she continued her work even after all she went through. I was inspired by her dedication aswell to the important cause she devoted her life to.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Franz Schubert would have to be the composer who influenced me the most. I've played a few of his songs on the piano and his music is absolutely beautiful. He had to work for his talent which I feel is more modern now-a-days. People aren't just born with the talent, they have to try to get it, and thats what Franz Schubert had to do and he kept trying to get the spot and to have that much motivation is very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have to say that everyone did a great job on this project! One of the artists that I really enjoyed would be Theda Bara. She was very interesting to read about! I liked how she was a woman who didn't really care what other people thought about her. She wasn't the picture perfect actress. She was a curvy, bold, brunette. I thought the fact that she kept at her art, no matter what obstacles she came across, was very inspiring. Her life was very fun to learn about. She was an exciting person, especially in her wonderful interview. I would read every comment, post, and detail on her blog, because I was so interested. Theda Bara is a very inspiring actress and woman. And I'm glad to have learned about her while doing this project. I encourage everyone to check out her blog, even if she isn't in your era. Believe me, you'll be glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think the artist that struck me the most was Theda Bara. The first thing about Theda that I saw that struck me was that she was from Cincinnati. It was shocking to me that someone that famous not only came from Cincinnati, but went to Walnut Hills! Theda was just very inspiring to me. I also enjoyed reading her interview. I was really interested in learning all about her life and how she went from Cincinnati to New York to Hollywood. Theda just makes you believe that you can do pretty much anything you set your heart to and that's exactly why she stood out to me above all the other artists.

    ReplyDelete
  25. the person that stuck out to me was Anna Atkins because her blueprints were very interesting and they were wonderful. She faced many limitations that she dealt with those limitations in everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The person i thought that struck me in some was Mary Shelly. I thought that her impact on life was very meaningful and beneficial. i also thought that her blog was brilliant. i thought that she was very serious and had a lot of good information.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't know, but I thought Duke Ellington was really good. I thought they really portrayed their character, and that it sounded like him. They seemed to pop up everywhere there was a comment...I know that he was in my time period, but still. Somewhat the first few to post. They spent time on their work, and their blog looks great. They chose a really great thing to talk about for the times, segregation. I didn't even think about that for this project. I was too stuck up into thinking about the wars and the problems there, that I didn't consider everything else. I thought it was a great idea to include what was beyond what was happening in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'd have to say that Igor Stravinsky's work has really inspired me.
    Stravinsky is one of my favorite composers. It was very fun and meaningful to learn more about Stravinsky's life! He had to deal with similar problems that my artist had to deal with. This made me connect better with both my artist and Stravinsky because I had a much better understanding of what their life's were like and what they went through in their life.
    Stravinsky's music is so beautiful and it just makes me want to get up and dance.
    There is a reason that a lot of his music becomes ballets!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mary Shelley's work really struck me. I feel as though she fully encompassed her artist's personality and wrote as though her artist would. When reading her interview it was almost like the person who wrote the blog was actually talking to Mary Shelley and it was greatly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The one person that struck me was Faustina Bordoni. Her success was amazing in the enlightenment era. This is because men were dominate and she was a woman who was very talented and made her way to fame for her opera singing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. One artist, other than my own, who struck me in some way was Mr.Bill "Bojangles" Robinson. The reason I found him to be such a indifferent yet striking character is because of the life he lived and talent he beheld. For example, Bojangles dropped out of school at age FIVE because his teacher found him hard to handle. Ideally, when you think of a school drop-out you think of a lazy slum who isn't benefiting society at all, and yet he did. Another reason he was one of my favorite artists is because even though he was an artist, he did many other honorable things in the duration of his lifetime. For instance, he served under France's Fourth Army in the National Guard and after the way became the 369th Drum Major and also received a honor from the King of England. Not only that but he set a world record of 8.2 seconds for the 75-yard dash. This man did so much more than the expected and the exceptional that his story is beyond inspirational. Words can't describe how much admiration I now have for him. He flourished in many ways and left a huge imprint in the lives of very many. For that reason I chose him as the artist that impacted/struck me in unimaginable ways.

    ReplyDelete
  32. A artist that struck me was Gustav Klimt. He is a very talented artist, his work is very inspiring and the painting speak volume. I think that if his painting could jump off the canvas they would blend in with life and have a story to tell. For example the painting "The Kiss" is very inspiring and you can almost feel the life in them. And i love them very much.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The artist that really hit me like a ton of bricks was Joan Miro. I was first intrigued with him when I opened up his blog only to be greeted by that giant painting of "Carnival of Harlequin". I was extremely impressed by the surrealistic painting and I literally studied it for 5-10 minutes. After being hit by that I really was interested in seeing more artwork so I scrolled down and looked at some. To say I was blown away is an extreme understatement. It seems that almost all of his art was extremely trippy, which is something I really like. I almost feel like it struck me as beautiful because it was just so surrealistic and looked something like an image one would see in a dream (I really like the whole surreal dream thing). It felt as if it took me into an imaginary world that I could just slip into and just be awestruck. I feel that Joan Miro's work was very impactful on me.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Personally, I think the work of Jacques-Louis David is amazing. The way he uses detail really brings out the emotions of a particular scene. I also admire the way that he showed issues and events that were important to him. I also really enjoy his use of Neoclassicism and find he used it very well. His use of color is also fantastic. All of the artists in my era did a great job and their work was fantastic, but I really think the paintings of David are exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I really like the artist Gustav Klimt. His artwork is so complex and detailed like my artist. I'm an art major so I am more into painting and drawings, which is what Gustav does. His artwork is more into painting and having it made to be abstract. It reminds me of kind of an African themed environment so I really appreciate his work and what he does. It's like it's very imaginative and different than most artists that I know.

    ReplyDelete
  36. One of the artists from this year's project that really caught my eye was Jane Austen. She was a tremendous writer. And very bright at that. Her level of vocabulary and comprehension was phenomenal. On top of that, she was very famous. Her works were breathe taking. What makes it even better is that she's a female, and was just as successful, if not more, than any man could be or already is!

    BAH6

    ReplyDelete
  37. Jacques-Louis David: The creepy amazingly cocky arts person, His blog really seemed interesting! I loved how He portayed his person. He really seemed real and how i would have imagined him! Funny as heck too! wich was great for learning, because it got me into his story. He was funny, Funny, FUNNY! It was a really good blog! Good job to him!
    (Cheers H.M.)
    XSW 6
    42..........

    ReplyDelete
  38. Marie Salle was one of the artists who struck me as very similar to Fredrick Chopin (my artist). We had many conversations about our traits we had in common and how we both helped the revolution continue in our area of the arts. She told me how no one would listen to her ideas about dance and how she wanted to perform it. This connected to Chopin because that is exactly how he felt about music. I made a point of talking about this in one of the discussion questions and I believe it got a lot of responses. what I said was the everyone in our era was obsessed with this idea that we were alone and no one understood us but the truth is that since everyone felt that way we were not alone at all. I wonder if this is how the really artists in our era felt and maybe if they realized everyone who felt the same way the revolutions would have gone a lot smoother. - John M. Bell 6

    ReplyDelete
  39. Vernon Castle really struck me as interesting, Especially since his art uses my characters almost exclusively. He is a great dancer, and his use of my creations of ragtime really stuck out to me. His profile is well put together and his rhetoric is fine as well. To think that he made Scott Joplins work more famous, while he was built around it was very fascinating to me.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Me personally all the artist were great, but the one that really caught my eye was Madam Cj Walker, her work was amazing. She used natural products to make thing that are useful to the whole african american race. Born into a former-slave family she has made many accomplishments in her life time. Also for an african american female during the world war one era, times were hard so there wasn't really a chance to become entrepreneur. She was an independent african american woman who impacted the life's of every one.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Barthelemy Thimonnier interested me. I found his life story interesting, how he came from a common background. His creation (the sewing machine) is something that is used commonly in everyday life. I found it interesting that even though he made his machine with the intent to help people many did not like it. They even burned down one of his factories. Despite people's aversion to his invention it has still become widely used and I find that inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  42. One artist that I was inspired by was madam C.J. Walker. She was a women and made alot out of herself. She struggled growing up but she wanted to change the ropes for African American women. She followed her own path, and i feel Jamini Roy did the same. He wanted to show the importance of India and she just wanted to help change the world for blacks. her name stands for alot.

    ReplyDelete
  43. ONE???
    A blog that really stood out to me was Franz Shubert. The songs that he composed were exquisitely divine. The remarkable thing is that I was familiar with his pieces and yet didn’t even know him by name. For the song “Serenade” I said, “Franz Schubert you never cease to amaze me. A beautiful song doesn't even start to begin explaining how exquisite this song is. The song calls in the sounds of love, passion, happiness, memories, and feeling I couldn't even begin to describe. It is hard to believe such feeling can come from the notes that you have aligned solely in your mind. The talent you possess is clearly a present, one that the whole world will always enjoy.” While I think that Angelica would feel this way I can’t begin describing how true those words are for me. Don’t even get me started on “Ave Maria”. “That is an exceptionally enchanting song Franz. It almost makes me want to cry. Sorry that is an enormous lie. These salted river tears linger down my face with no end in sight. Your inter twine of piano and voice is enough to bring every angel in the Heavens to tears. You have brought new meanings to the words Ave Maria. The music you fabricate is incomparable to, unquestionably, anything. The droplets of rain from the stormy clouds above, could undoubtedly, unquestionably, and effortlessly be misinterpreted with that of the Heaven's Angels and Saints boundless tears over your composition. I can envision Maria, herself, not desiring, yearning, or longing for a diviner song then that of which you have created.” The same goes for this post in that fact I feel this way about the song.” Every time I hear someone sing the song “Ave Maria” I shed tears. I grew, and grow, up with Franz Shubert’s music. His music is so…words can’t even begin describing the remarkableness of these pieces. The inspiration, passion, and feeling from the works of this artist are what makes it not only stand out, but made me come to it back over and over.
    Another artist that stood out to me was Pierre Beaumarchais. Even though he was a playwright, he did inspire music. The music he inspired went into opera’s, one of which was named "The Barber of Seville”. Now I have a short story to tell you. So, I was examining all of the artifacts for the artist within my era and the artists were beginning to shock me. George Fredrick Handel, the composer of “Hallelujah”, was in my era. Franz Shubert, the composer of “Ave Maria” and “Serenade”, was in my era. Then I stumbled upon Pierre’s artifacts and my reaction was startling. I beheld my favorite opera, “The Barber of Seville”, which I learned was inspired by a play by Pierre. I pressed play to the songs Figaro Aria and the Overture, cranked the volume to full blast, and then begin to run around my house to inform the residents what I have discovered in the midst of my era. I was around the age of four when I first heard those songs, and they have been with me ever since. Pierre’s name will now always remained engraved in my mind for as long as I live.
    Oh and I could never leave out Jacques-Louis David. It didn’t as much stand out to me, but it did make me ponder about the writer’s sanity. I mean he was the definition of flirt!!! I mentioned in my interview that I wasn’t able to learn anatomy. When looking through my comments I read one that really caught my eye. A Mr. David saying he was willing to give me a male anatomy lesson artist to artist. Okay, I comprehend that he was a flirt, but really David, almost every comment from you, on any blog, was a come on. David must have been a very interesting person.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I enjoyed Jane Austen's blog! I thought she could be rude at times, but I found her to be a very interesting person! She was very well spoken. I found her to be opinionated, which is something I like! She had a great vocabulary and who ever wrote for her, developed an amazing character! I enjoyed reading her interview, and she was a writer like me!

    ReplyDelete
  45. One of the most remarkable and avant garde artist I discovered during this project was Anna Atkins. I had never heard of her work before. And the early world of photography was a mystery to me! Her extordinarly unique use of something as strange as sea weed to create fantastic photographs is amazing! It is one thing to simply paint the world realistically, a whole other to create a whole new art from! Not to mention how much science and mathematics would have to go in to making those prints!

    ReplyDelete
  46. The artist that struck me in an amazing way was, Charles Dickens. I don't know what is was about his story, but it just got me. I loved the fact that he really had no mentors, and he still did what he wanted. It was even more interesting that his father also was an artist. I think that he really had a good story. Good Job to whoever Charles Dickens was.!

    ReplyDelete
  47. If I could name one artist that struct me it would have to be Ms. Jane Austen. Her comments and inspirational artifacts just astounded me. I think this person who had her literally became Ms.Austen. Every single thing this person posted I could see Ms.Austen saying herself. I think this person captured this artist beautifully. She just amazed me with her brutal but very true comments. And I just loved how this person gave her so much of a personality. So I say Brava' to the creator of Ms. Jane Austen's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I absolutely loved Frannie Brice! She was such a character, and I love animated people. She reminded me of myself in many ways. Her personallity was so bubbly, and she seemed to be a very strong woman. She taught herself all that she knew, and that was pretty inspirational! Also, I loved her work. She was funny, bright, and I really enjoyed reading about her life!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I believe that everyone in some sort of way inspired me and kept my interest. I enjoyed viewing everyone's work and reading their stories. One artist, from my era, that really stuck out to me was Ms. Jane Austen. I enjoyed reading about her a lot. She was very descriptive and insightful. One artist that kept me laughing was Frederic Chopin. Although his work was very good, it was also quite humorous. Another artist that had my attention from the beginning was Mr. Bill "Bojangles" Robinson. From the time I read his introduction, I was hooked! I really enjoyed this project and all the artists included this year!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I was very interested in Wassily Kadinsky's story. I love how his art is so colorful and expressive. I was really interested in how he did his paintings while listening to music. He actually painted how the song made him feel and used colors that were inspired by the notes of the music. I would love to see a painting that was inspired by current popular music, such as Eminem or Tupac.

    ST6

    ReplyDelete
  51. One artist in my era that I enjoyed learning about and stuck with me was Sarah Siddons. She was a famous actress and played Lady Macbeth. The thing that I liked about her was that she was brought up learning the art and her parents were there for her and supported her.  She was the only one who became famous from the theater she started in. She worked really hard and dedicated herself to her art and thats what I enjoyed reading about in her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I think the artist that cought my eye the most was Jane Austen. Just because she's an amazing writer, and all her work is still well known today. All her work is also considered to be classics today as well. Also because (though this may not be what you ment by work) she was one of the best at commenting during this whole prosses. She was, in my opinion, the most in depth and had the most to say. But mostly I liked the books that she wrote. I got a chance to read a little bit of some of her books and thought they were really good. She is very successful, and just completly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Z.B/B6: I think that Isadora Duncan struck me the most. I was amazed at how bold she was and wanted to change things.I mean she went on stage topless! Personally I don't think that was a good idea, especially during this time in history, but I still can't believe she did it. I found it interesting that she prefered dance in another country rather than dance in the United States. I also liked how she tried to be different and came up with with her own style of dance. Changing things up, especially dance, keeps things interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  54. So many artist caught my atention! I learned something new from each and everyone of them, so it is difficult for me to choose which one is my absolute favorite. I believe the artist that caught my attention the most was Anna Atkins. She started off her life at an early age without a mother. A mother plays a huge role in any childs life, especially a little girls. Most would think that a little girl would not be poperly raised with her parent being only one man. Anna overcame what would most would expect from her and became one of the first male or female to be so popular and to work such magic with a camera. Another thing that Anna did was made advancements for her father as a scientist. So not only did she make advances in the art world, she also helped scientist help further understand how to make the quailty of of her work better. I think the fact that she was the first male or female in her feild to make the most advancement, I think this is what made her catch my eye the most. Also I just think her work is absolutly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  55. I think my personal favorite artist is Charles Dickens. And I'm NOT just saying this because Courbet and Dickens share a common interest in realism. The guy published tons of AMAZING books. The sheer fact that Dickens books have NEVER gone out of print is pretty mind-blowing. I also think Dickens novels have a great example of description, and are very god at using details to describe the scenery and items. I especially like it when an artist emerges from great poverty, Dickens too came from a very bad place (This actually helped influence his story's) and rose to his now known greatness. Pretty outstanding if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  56. The artist that stood out to me in this project would have to be Dame Melba. She had an amazing life and we had a lot in common. She absolutely loved singing and was very good at it. She toured all over Europe and America. Dame was also very strong even though she was oppressed and criticized as a women that was also divorced. She was still very outgoing and a "prima donna" despite what any man said trying to put her down. She was a beyond talented singer and an awesome person.

    ReplyDelete
  57. my personal favoret artiest was Lotte Lehmann who sung even when her own country would not accept her. which is a lot like king oliver in that he also had to move away from his home. her interview was well done and well thought out. she came very far from next to nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I would say that the artist that really stood out to me was Gustav Klimt. His upbringing was very interesting. The fact that his family was poor and he was introduced to the arts by his father. I thought that was pretty cool, and just the fact that he turned out to be this wonderful artist. I mean his art is very beautiful and interesting. I bet when he was younger he never imagined or thought that he would be this very wealthy artist being researched on by a student from a school. This artist right here is just amazing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  59. My favorite was Ira Aldrige after reviewing some of her work, I was really shocked how talented she was. Being an african american in her time period must of been hard and I could never of imagined going through that, just to express and create art.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Submitted to GWCTD1:5.6.2011.11:34PM By Haydn.
    I think the one artist other than my own that struck me in some way would have to be Maupin. Her crazy lifestyle was very interesting to me and on top of all the love affairs being a famous opera singer? Amazing to me. Also the dressing up like a man was very unusual and would not have been seen too often during the time. Her life just interests me more than some of the other artists I conversed and looked at.

    ReplyDelete
  61. I think the artist that struck me the most was Gustave Courbet, because his art was interesting. I personlly have a love for artwork and paintings and such. So his paintings were just wonderfull to see. I would hope to se some of them in person,as I travel to different places of other wonderfull artist.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Though there was an abundant amount of tremendous and interesting artist, and also an abundant amount of boring artists as well!!! The one artist who truly stood out to me and it was the lovely, classy and very spunky Miss. Fannie Brice. Not only is she gorgeous and amazingly talented but I just adore the fact that she was such a rebel! Though I do not approve the fact that she dropped out of school I worship the fact that she worked in burlesque revue. I envy her very much for doing so because was beautiful, and had a talent for dancing. Two things that many people said I didn't have! I find working in a burlesque revue would have been a great big deal of fun! Though my father probably would not approve:) And the fact that she got started on her own really inspires and motivates me. The other part that really excited me about her was the fact that she was from a completely different era compared to me! The World War One era was of course a time of war and depression but the way Miss. Fannie described it lead me to believe that it was exciting and never any dull moments! There just seemed to be an abundant amount of emotion and being an opera singer EMOTION IS WHAT I THRIVED ON! Another thing that i admired about her is that she accepted the fact that she was "ugly" though I do not in the slightest way view her as ugly!! She is just as beautiful as her soul! Though are beginnings are very different I see a whole lot of similarities between us too! What a great gal!

    ReplyDelete

Remember cyber-etiquette!